Broccoli is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family. Other vegetables include kales, bok choy, cabbage, cauliflower, turnips, Brussel sprouts and collard greens among others. The vegetables have sufficient calories for nutritional gains. Broccoli is a healthy vegetable.
Health benefits of broccoli
There are immense benefits of eating cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli. The following are common health gains of eating these vegetables:
- Broccoli has enough vitamin C which is useful in keeping the immune system healthy.
- The chromium contained in broccoli controls diabetes as it regulates the amount of insulin produced in the body.
- Eye cataract can be prevented by eating the broccoli vegetables. They contain beta-carotene which can also prevent muscular degeneration.
- There are various minerals such as calcium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorous that help in growth and strengthening of the bones. Broccoli is thus very healthy for pregnant and elderly people. It helps to prevent osteoporosis.
- The sulforaphane contained in broccoli helps to control the skin damages due to UV rays. This can also reduce swelling.
- Folate is needed by pregnant mothers to avoid fatal neurological defects. Broccoli contains folate thus making the vegetable very healthy.
- Some cancers such as breast, colon, and lung cancer can be prevented by eating broccoli. The phytochemicals contained in broccoli lowers the cancer risks.
- There is enough fiber in broccoli. Together with potassium and chromium, broccoli helps to reduce cholesterol and blood pressure.
The health benefits can be immense. Broccoli is known to contain various minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc and chromium. The vegetable has proteins and carbohydrates as well as Vitamin A and C. This makes broccoli very healthy if introduced in your diet. It comes with antioxidants and other phytochemicals that work to fight infections and diseases in the body.
Benefits of broccoli to the skin
Broadly, broccoli has sufficient benefits to your health. They can be considered as:
- Make you look younger – the antioxidants and vitamin C contained in broccoli work to restore the skin tone for longer. This leaves the texture smooth and glowing. Eating broccoli reduces wrinkles thus making your skin look younger.
- Fighting cancer – the phytochemicals contained in this vegetable works to kill the cancerous cells thus keeping you off the risk.
- Better bone formation and health – your bones get stronger with broccoli in your diets. The calcium and other minerals contained are very effective for this.
- Prevents chronic diseases and digestion problems –the antioxidants in the vegetable works to keep your body away from any intoxications. Digestion is better with such vegetables. It prevents constipation thus a healthier digestive tract. One is also at a better chance of preventing heart disease, hypertension and stroke among other chronic illnesses.