Planning for a trip away from home? There are a number of digestive mistakes you need to learn about. It is important that you stick to your usual diets. This has both health benefits as well as other esteem rewards. Make sure your healthy whole grains, veggies, fruits and lean proteins are close to you. These are simple instructions that could mean serious problems if ignored. You do not want to keep on visiting the restrooms, gas stations or the plane lavatory frequently.
Failure to drink enough fluids or changes in your eating habits among other things could result in digestive problems. Stress while traveling could also cause digestive upsets. Common problems include heartburn, constipation, gas, and traveler’s diarrhea.
How to avoid digestive problems
While traveling, you need to be careful so as to avoid digestive issues. The most commonly experienced problem is the traveler’s diarrhea. This is usually caused by contaminated water. People with certain intolerance could also experience this due to some foods. To prevent diarrhea among other digestive problems, ensure the following:
- Avoid unpasteurized beverages or food.
- Be careful with food from street vendors.
- All meat should be well cooked and served hot.
- Do not use uncooked vegetables and fruits unless they have a skin to be peeled. Similarly, those that are already peeled should be avoided unless you have done it yourself.
- Always take bottled water. Brush your teeth well and avoid adding ice to your drinks: unless you are certain that the ice was made from bottled water.
In cases where the digestive problems have already started, ensure that you keep the problems under control through the following ways:
- Skip all caffeinated beverages.
- Do not take any dairy products.
- Keep off any sugary foods.
- Do not take greasy foods that have high-fat levels or a lot of fiber.
- Diarrhea could be considered a very severe digestive problem while on your trip. In addition, one may experience other unwanted issues such as constipation, heartburn, and gas.
Mistakes while traveling
Common mistakes done during trips include:
- Forgetting your probiotics – these are dietary supplements to control the bacterial balance in the body. Failure to carry these supplements causes disturbances on your trip. One may develop yeast infections, travelers or antibiotic diarrhea.
- Failure to carry enough drinking water – dehydration could be a serious problem experienced due to failure to carry enough water while traveling. This could result in constipation which is a disturbing problem.
- Drinking alcohol excessively – alcohol could distress the entire digestive system. It causes dehydration too. Take minimal amounts of alcohol while traveling.
- Remaining inactive throughout the trip could cause digestive issues.
- Trying out new food – this could cause stomach upsets due to changes in meals.